Powerful earthquake hits Indonesia

By Kelly McKee
March 31, 2005

Late on Monday, March 28, a powerful earthquake struck off Indonesia’s west coast killing hundreds of people and demolishing villages. Panic quickly spread across the Indian Ocean that another killer tsunami like that of Dec. 26, was on the way, but studies have quashed that fear. Almost all the deaths reported after the 8.7-magnitude quake were on Indonesia’s Nias Island. Up to 2,000 deaths have been predicted so far based on building damage. No one is sure how many dead they will find, according to the New York Times.

Student goes on killing rampage

Ten people were left dead after a juvenile rampaged through a high school on March 21. The teen, Jeff Wiese, shot nine people on the Red Lake Indian reservation, Minneapolis, before turning the weapon on himself. According to the FBI, Wiese was believed to have acted in alone in the deadliest school shooting since 15 died in the 1999 Columbine High School massacre in Littleton, Co. In the fatal outburst, Wiese killed his grandfather, a tribal police officer, and his companion, at his grandfather’s home. He then took his grandfather’s guns to the school where he killed a security guard, a teacher and five students. It has since been discovered that Wiese often referred to himself as “The angel of death,” and had previously made postings on a Neo-Nazi website praising the work of Adolf Hitler. A juvenile has been arrested in Minneapolis in connection with the massacre, although no details on the youth’s relationship with Wiese have yet been released, according to MSNBC.

Couey admits to kidnapping and murder

The murderer of nine-year-old Jessica Lunsford confessed to the brutal deed on Sunday, March 20. Registered sex offender, John Evander Couey, 41, confessed to the kidnapping and murder after taking a polygraph when he had been booked on a probation violation. Lunsford, a third-grader from Florida was snatched from her bedroom last month by Couey, who entered through an unlocked door. Last seen on the night of Feb. 23, her body was found over three weeks later less than 150 yards from her home. Lunsford had been sexually assaulted. Couey is imminently facing trial and is likely to face the death penalty for his crime. Local community has created a tribute to the child at the end of her street, placing flowers and stuffed animals in their hundreds, according to the Christian Science Monitor.

Schiavo future unknown

On Friday, March 18, the feeding tube that had been sustaining Terri Schiavo’s life was removed. Schiavo, 41, has been nourished by this device since her collapse in 1990 which left her in a “persistent vegetative state”, according to her doctors. Michael Schiavo, husband to the patient, has been campaigning for the tubes removal since 1998. His petitions for removal of the tube have previously succeeded on two occasions, but to be interjected by Terri Schiavo’s parents and local congress. Most recently on Feb. 25, the Supreme Court gave permission for the tube to be removed. Once again interjection has immediately begun. Schiavo’s parents backed by Republican Congress have fought to reinsert the tube, however this time unsuccessfully. At present the feeding tube is still disconnected and it is reported that Schiavo is nearing her final days and described by her father as weak and emaciated. Hundreds of protesters have gathered outside the hospital and police have been stationed incase of heightened demonstration. Much debate has erupted on this subject and is expected to continue long after her death.

Posted to the web by Shawn Rice

Kelly McKee

Scroll to Top
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Email
  • Print
  • Copy Link
  • More Networks
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap