There is no way to prepare for the devastation that something such as Hurricane Sandy has done to beaches, homes and many business’s. Here are a few quick things you can do before, during and after a major storm.
- Non-perishable foods: Any kinds of foods that won’t go bad or doesn’t need to be heated by anything electronic.
- Water: Keep cases of bottled water ready. They can be restocked annually.
- Flashlights: Make sure all of the flashlights are either charged or have extra batteries
- Sand bags: If your house floods easily be sure to get your sand bags ready at your doors.
- Chargers: Make sure you charge up your electronics laptops and phones etc.
- Secure your home: Strap down furniture, board up doors and windows. Make sure to trim tree branches over your home and/or cars.
- Evacuate if told to do so: The state will tell you whether or not they think it’s severe enough where you should evacuate. If advised to do so, listen to them; it’s not worth your life.
- Candles: Stock up on your candles and matches. Once the electricity goes out it might be the only light you have!
- Safe Spot: Pick a spot in your house and get the whole family to stay there together.
- Lock all doors and windows: Try to keep all the doors shut so the wind doesn’t catch them and keep them swinging open!
- Have emergency numbers handy: Make sure you have the electricity, gas, local emergency numbers ready, incase anything happens.
- Wait it out: When the storm hits there’s nothing more you can do but wait it out.
- Assess the damage: After the storm head out around your home and examine all of the damage done. Look for missing siding, down trees, missing furniture, broken objects etc.
- Clean up: Be sure to clean up all the debris around your house.
- Check up on loved ones: Give family and friends a call to make sure they’re okay and if there is anything you can do to help them if need be.
- PECO: 1(800)841-4144
- Phildelphia emergency contact number: dial 311
- Philadelphia Water Department: (215) 685-6300
- South New Jersey:
- PSE&G electric: 1-800-880-7734
- BPU division Water emergencies: (1-973) 648-2026