Physical game ends a tie

By Justin Hallman
September 18, 2003

Dave Ehrlich

The Pennsylvania Athletic Conference men’s soccer season started off with a bang last Thursday, Sept. 10, as Wesley College and Cabrini collided, in a full out battle untill the end, filled with physical play. When the dust cleared, 55 fouls and 110 minutes later, the Cavs and the visiting Wolverines settled for a 0-0 tie in double overtime.

“We looked a little flat and there wasn’t much intensity,” head coach Doug Meder said. “They play a different style then we do, a kick and run attack. We like to approach the game in more of a finesse way. ”

Although much intensity was shown, a lack of effort was far from the truth as both squads battled through the physical match. While Cabrini had many chances to score, it was its defense that kept the home team in the game. Starting Goalkeeper James Beck saved six shots along the way, including a denial on a one on one opportunity with only three minutes remaining in the first overtime.

“We just couldn’t finish at all,” Meder said. “But Beck played very well and the same for our backs who I think played well too. [Anthony] Pepe, [Jeffrey] Carman, they both had really good games back there.”

The Cavs started the game strong with two early opportunities just 12 minutes into the game, but were turned away by Wesley keeper Edward Hunt. Hunt, a freshman goalie, faced 19 shots by the Cabrini attack. Cabrini was not able to get much pressure on Wesley after the early chances due to its strangling defense.

“Their offsides trap was really tough,” Meder said. ” We struggled a lot against that and their goalie really did have a nice game.”

The Cavs were tallied up for offsides nine times throughout the game, frustrating its possible advantages. After an up and down first half, the score was still knotted at zeros.

The excitement picked up in the second half, as Cabrini came out with another early chance nine minutes into the second frame. Following a long throw-in by senior Brian Flemming that landed in the box, a swarm of shots were put on goal but were again turned away. The strongest chance, a rocket shot by Jason Catagnus, just missed due to a save from Wesley keeper Hunt.

The Wesley squad turned the tables taking over much of the second half as the fouls began to fly. Beck and defender Michael Ferrise would both garner yellow cards at the midway point of the half. The Wesley offense continued to keep the pressure on the Cavaliers through most of the second half as the home team dodged a few near goals.

After regulation time had ceased, the two teams came out in an attempt to settle the score in overtime. With three minutes left in the first overtime, a game saving play was made by Beck, who turned away a one-on-one chance with a charging, acrobatic save, to keep the game at a scoreless tie.

The second overtime featured much of the action of the first as the two fatigued squads went back and forth in a physical stalemate that would remain tied at zero goals apiece.

“It was our first PAC game of the year,” Meder said. “We’ll be changing up the lineups a little and see how it goes. Today was tough; we just didn’t play well enough to win.”

For more statistics and Cabrini athletic information

Posted on the web by Rob Cain

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Justin Hallman

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Special Project

Title IX Redefined Website

Produced by Cabrini Communication
Class of 2024

Listen Up

Season 2, Episode 3: Celebrating Cabrini and Digging into its Past


Scroll to Top
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap