On Monday Aug 25, at approximately 10 p.m., Residential Boulevard’s houses four through seven lost power due to an electrical overload. According to the assistant director of resident life Angie Hodgeman, the blackout was due to an over loaded circuit breaker that was responsible for the power of the four houses. The power was out for nearly two hours.
“I was in a friends room on the opposite side of the house. I could barely make it down the hall to my room,” junior marketing major, Thomas Schneiders said.
Immediately following the loss of power, students scurried from their dark houses, and began to gather on the walkway and the front lawn of house six. The gathering groups of students got the attention of patrolling public safety officers and the resident assistants on duty.
Senior, communications major Julian Smoger, the resident assistant of house five, said, “Everyone handled themselves pretty well.”
Two days later, on Wednesday, Aug 27, at approximately 9 p.m. the power went out again. This time the problem was fixed in close to 30 minutes.
The fun and celebration expressed on the faces of the students during the first power outage turned to looks of anger and frustration the second time around.
On Wednesday night an announcement was posted throughout the houses that the problem was going to be fixed on Thursday between 11a.m. and 2 p.m. during this time students were asked to turn of all large appliances, so that when the power was turned back on there would not be a surge.
Michelle Ward, junior psychology and social work major, who was in the dark both Monday and Wednesday night, said, ” We are all glad the electrical problem has been solved. Hopefully now we can put the flashlights away.”